Geological World Heritage Site, inscribed on 2 July 2018. At South Africa’s most recently appointed UNESCO World Heritage site, the earliest evidence of life on earth is revealed in rock. Hlengiwe Magagula unlocks some of the geological treasures.
Own vehicle needed
Tour Guide recommended
- Molten lava and superheated gases cooled to form the most ancient rocks on the planet.
- The fossils of the oldest life on earth are preserved.
- Where breathtaking views and scenic picnic sites are the order of the day.
- Barberton Makhonjwa Geo Trail : Definitely worth a visit!
- If you are a rock star, we strongly advise that you book a guided tour with one of our expert rock enthusiasts.
A pop-up lunch can be provided upon request at an additional fee of R150-00 pp. Bookings essential.
Taste our famous Barberton Barney Steak with chips and salad – never to be forgotten.
Tour Times : Trips by arrangement only
Please book in advance to avoid disappointment.
- Depart from Barberton Adventures, after signing indemnity forms.
- Drive along the R40 towards Swaziland border and visit the first 6 sites (more sites are available on full day tours)
An experienced guide.
- Food & Beverages for duration of the whole tour
- Transport (driving own vehicle to location)
Q : What shoes do we need to wear?
A : Gumboots are provided. Closed shoes recommended.
Q : Do I need warm clothes?
A : Yes, a light jacket.
Q : Do I need sunblock and a hat?
A : Recommended for prospecting.
Q : Are there bees?
A : Yes, at certain times of day. If you are allergic to bees make sure to bring your specific medication.
Q : Are there spiders and snakes en route?
A : Yes. TIA (This is Africa).