Barberton was inscribed as a World Heritage Site on the 2 July 2018 due to it’s geology. What makes it so special is that the Makhonjwa Mountains comprise of the oldest and best-preserved sequence of volcanic and sedimentary rocks on Earth. Known as the Barberton Greenstone Belt, these highly accessible ancient exposures present a continuous 350 million year old sequence of rocks, beginning 3 600 million years ago.
- Prices and guides available on request
- Different sites available on request
- Group discount & concessions available
- These ancient mountains, older even than the bulging granite domes around Nelspruit and Mbabane, provide the best source of information about the early Earth anywhere in the world.
- As required by the World Heritage Convention, they are the best of the best examples of this form of most ancient Archaean geology.
- From these rocks, geologists and palaeobiologists have learned more about the Earths early history, than from any other comparable site in the world.
- Departure from Barberton Adventures after relevant documentation has been signed.
- We have many sites of interest.
- Locations will be divulged once a booking is made.
- For Geologists and students full day excursions with specialist can be arranged, and for the enthusiast half day.
- Access to various locations and sites.
- Guide upon request.
- Food & Beverages for duration of the whole tour
- Transport (driving own vehicle to location)
- Bathroom facilities.
Q : What shoes do we need to wear?
A : Comfortable shoes recommended.
Q : Do I need warm clothes?
A : Yes, a light jacket in winter.
Q : Do I need sunblock and a hat?
A : Recommended for hiking/walking.
Q : Are there bees?
A : Yes, at certain times of day. If you are allergic to bees make sure to bring your specific medication.
Q : Are there spiders and snakes en route?
A : Yes. TIA (This is Africa).