Historical Town Tours
With this tour we pay tribute to the families who stayed on and left a heritage for posterity.
- This is a job creation initiative, where guides work for tips*
Basic Tour – 10 sites
(including guide, excluding tips*)
Adults (16+) : R140
Children (0-15) : R80
Extended Tour – 20 sites
Includes Tuk-Tuk for 2 to 3 people : R180 p/p (no guide)
- Barberton was proclaimed a town in 1884.
- Mining was primitive and very dangerous.
- Pioneers continued to seek fortune with undaunted spirit and endured many hardships, disappointments and disasters.
- With this tour we pay tribute to the families who stayed.
- Today one can visit a house that was bought out of a catalogue or a home that was donated to the museum by the only residents it ever had.
- You can also visit the facade of the stock exchange, Barberton Men’s club (no woman allowed) and the oldest (still operating) Phoenix Hotel, which was frequently visited not only by the miners but by Presidents and Ministers of the world as well.
Our Heritage – Our History
Tour Duration : 3 Hours
Departure Times : Upon Request
- Entry into all museum houses
- Guide to enhance Basic Tour
- Food & Beverages for duration of the whole tour
A : Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
Q : What extra’s do you recommend we take?
A : A bottle of water or cold drink.
Q : Do I need warm clothes?
A : Yes, a light jacket in winter.
Q : Do I need sunblock and a hat?
A : Recommended for walking around.
Q : Are there bees?
A : Yes, at certain times of day. If you are allergic to bees make sure to bring your specific medication.
Q : Are there spiders and snakes en route?
A : Yes. TIA (This is Africa).